Last week, E3 organisers the ESA said that despite the threat of coronavirus, the expo would be going ahead. Now, the ESA has been forced to reevaluate that statement after first Los Angeles, and then the entire state of California, declared a state of emergency over the outbreak.
In a statement released last night (via gamesindustry.biz) the ESA said:
"The health and safety of our attendees, exhibitors, partners and staff is our top priority. While the ESA continues to plan for a safe and successful E3 show June 9-11, 2020 - we are monitoring and evaluating the situation daily.
Our E3 team and partners continue to monitor COVID-19 via the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention and the World Health Organization (WHO). We are actively assessing the latest information and will continue to develop measures to further reduce health risks at the show."
That statement, while confident, is certainly a step back from last week's, in which the ESA said that plans for E3 were "moving ahead full speed." With GDC already shuttered, there's a lot of pressure on E3 to deliver this year, but if publishers are forced to forgo the expo this year, it could spell trouble for an event which has been struggling in recent years over non-attendance from a number of big names.