YouTuber Felix Kjellberg, better known as Pewdiepie, says he’s taking a break from the platform in 2020. In a video published over the weekend, the UK-based content creator told fans that he’ll be “away for a little while” early next year.
The main focus of the video is a recent YouTube policy update. The changes, which went live on Wednesday, ban “harassment that suggests violence” and “content that maliciously insults someone based on protected attributes”, such as race, gender, and sexuality. Videos that don’t follow these new guidelines are being retroactively taken down.
Kjellberg clearly isn’t impressed with the site’s handling of the changes, and it would seem that they influenced his decision to take a temporary step away from creating content. At the end of the video, he says that “now is as good a time as any to announce [...] I am taking a break from YouTube next year. I’m tired. I’m tired, I’m feeling very tired. Early next year, I’ll be away for a little while.”
Kjellberg first mentioned a temporary absence earlier this year. In August, he said that “I do think it would be good for me to take a break at some point. It would be nice to not have YouTube in my brain for the first time in ten years.” Pewdiepie remains the second-biggest channel on the platform, so a short break isn’t likely to hurt Kjellberg's bottom line too much - if anything, returning after a brief hiatus has helped swell audiences of certain streamers.