Poor old EA, eh: told off by Disney, hated-on even more than usual by players. Doesn't your heart break! This is clearly brown trousers time for the publisher with regards to microtransactions, as it weighs up whether to plough ahead on its current course or make concessions to players.
The good news is that Need for Speed: Payback is entering Battlefront II's slipstream and making some changes to how it works. At release the game was widely criticised for its slow pace of unlocks and this seems to be the main thing changing; you'll get everything a lot faster. In very modern style, this was announced by community manager F8RGE on reddit.
Our aim with these changes is to make the progression, especially around the ownership of cars a much more enjoyable experience.
If you're currently playing the game while reading this, please restart in order for the changes to come into effect.
- Increased the amount of REP awarded by taking part in events.
- Increased the amount of Bank awarded by taking part in events.
- Bait crates now reward increased REP.
- Bait crates now reward increased Bank.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased REP.
- Competing against a Roaming Racer will reward you with increased Bank.
- Air Suspension will now appear more frequently within Shipments.
- Slightly increased REP and Bank for finishing an event outside of first place.Today’s changes are just phase one and we have further tweaks coming. Coming shortly will be some changes to the way tune-up shops work, especially around the quality / level of parts they stock. More on that soon.
Unlike Battlefront II, this is not a full scale reverse-ferret, but it could fairly be categorised as a half-ferret, a little gesture while everyone at EA panics and tries to decide what to do. The real question is, when EA restores IAPs to Battlefront II, will that be the fabled reverse-reverse ferret? Will loot boxes eventually summon the ferret ouroboros, who lays waste to this land? As its multiple gnashing heads hit a fatal artery, and the world goes black for yr honoured correspondent, I wonder if killing it would grant a legendary drop.