As the nights draw in and a fearsome chill grips the wan, wintery air, what better way to warm your frosty cockles than with some heated disagreement over the results of this year's Golden Joystick Awards?
The 34th Golden Joystick Awards took place earlier today and the winners, as mostly voted for by the public, are now in. Prepare for battle, contrarians of the world!
Top of the victory pile this year were Overwatch and The Witcher 3; Overwatch scored five awards, winning the categories of Best Original Game, Best Multiplayer Game, Competitive Game of the Year, PC Game of the Year and Best Gaming Moment (however that works), while The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine received gongs and polite applause for Best Storytelling and Best Visual Design. There was also a Studio of the Year award for CD Projekt Red and Best a Gaming Performance award for Doug Cockle's portrayal of Geralt Wheresmypants.
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End was deemed to be the PlayStation Game of the Year meanwhile, and in a moment of pleasing symmetry, Rise of the Tomb Raider won Xbox Game of the Year. And if you're wondering what scored 2016's Best Indie Game award (in association with Kotaku "all very attractive" UK), then wonder no more: it went to narrative forestry adventure Firewatch, and not just because it sort of has a walkie-talkie sex scene.
Elsewhere, The Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma won a well-deserved lifetime achievement award, and Zelda: Twilight Princess HD somehow managed to win Nintendo Game of the Year. The utterly wonderful Stardew Valley took home the Breakthrough Award, and Dark Souls 3 scored the Ultimate Game of the Year.
Finally, because I know you love it when I break out the bullet points, here's the Golden Joysticks Award's 2016 winners list in full.
- Best Original Game in association with The Sun - Overwatch
- Best Storytelling - The Witcher 3:Blood and Wine
- Best Visual Design - The Witcher 3:Blood and Wine
- Best Audio in association with DTS - Fallout 4
- Best Indie Game in association with Kotaku UK - Firewatch
- Gaming Personality of the Year in association with Guiness World Records - Sean Plott (Day (9))
- Best Multiplayer Game in association with PC Gamer Weekender - Overwatch
- Competitive Play of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro - Coldzera's jumping AWP quad kill at MLG Columbus
- Best Gaming Moment in association with Absolute Radio - Play of the game in Overwatch
- YouTube - Upcoming Personality of the Year - Jesse Cox
Studio of the Year in association with Edge - CD Projekt Red
- Innovation of the Year - Pokémon GO
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Eiji Aonuma
- Best Gaming Platform - Steam
- Best Gaming Performance - Doug Cockle
- Competitive Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer Pro - Overwatch
- Nintendo Game of the Year in association with Gamesmaster - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
- Playstation Game of the Year in association with OPM - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
- Xbox Game of the Year in association with OXM - Rise of the Tomb Raider
- PC Game of the Year in association with PC Gamer - Overwatch
- Handheld/Mobile Game of the Year in association with Digital Spy - Pokémon GO
- Breakthrough Award - Eric Barone - Stardew Valley
- Hall of Fame - Lara Croft
- Critics Choice Award - Titanfall 2
- Most Wanted Game in association with Green Man Gaming - Mass Effect Andromeda
- Ultimate Game of the Year in association with GamesRadar+ - Dark Souls 3
If you'd like to disagree with any or all of these selections, please do share your own preferred winners list in the comments below.