Rainbow Six Siege is all about the multiplayer, so when you've got someone who is team killing it does someone spoil the game. After all, once you die you have to sit out the rest of the round. Ubisoft has been trying to tackle team killing players since the game launched last year. With update 3.4 the studio is trying out a new, harsh system.
If you kill someone on your team, even the first offence is punished:
- First offense:
- Casual- Kicked from match.
- Ranked- Banned for 15 minutes, 50% renown penalty for 30 minutes.
- Second offense: Banned from Matchmaking for 30 minutes.
- Third offense: Banned from Matchmaking for 2 hours.
- Fourth offense: Banned from Matchmaking for 24 hours.
- Fifth offense: Banned from Matchmaking for 7 days.
Hopefully this system can't be abused. If a player wants to be a dick and deliberately ran across your field of fire so you killed them and got kicked from the game that would suuuuuuck.
Though Ubisoft does say in the post linked to above that the "[d]uration of a suspension will be decided at Ubisoft’s discretion, on a case by case basis", which suggests you may be able to dispute the bans. However, it also says "[a]fter multiple offenses, the player may receive up to a permanent ban. Actual disciplinary action may differ from the list of examples depending on the severity of the behavior and, again, shall be decided at Ubisoft’s discretion, on a case by case basis."
So, be bloody careful where you're shooting and dropping mines.