There's been talk of a big PS4 update, and now Sony's finally gone on record to explain exactly what's coming in Firmware 2.50, codenamed 'Yukimura'.
Suspend/Resume's ability to instantly pause and restart games when powering the console up or down was a much vaunted feature when it was announced along with the machine's reveal in 2013. It never appeared, leading many to question if it would ever actually happen. Now, in a PlayStation blog post, Sony's Scott McCarthy has confirmed that the 2.5 update will finally contain the feature.
Suspend/Resume will create an atmosphere where your games are immediately available at any time — just pick up your DUALSHOCK 4 controller, hit the PS button and get right back into the action of your games. When it’s time to log off, simply put your PS4 in Rest Mode and when you power up the next time, you’ll start your game where you left off (dependant on software titles). Spend less time getting into your games and more time playing your games.
That's not the only new thing though as Yukimura will also allow sub-account upgrades, improved Remote play and Share Play functionality, and a range of improved accessibility options.
Here's the full list of features:
- Sub-account to master account upgrade: Users with a sub-account will now be able to upgrade to a master account directly from their PS4 when they turn 18, removing restrictions for chat, enabling users to fund their own wallet, make purchases and more. Currently, users can upgrade their sub-accounts online.
- Facebook friend search: Gamers globally have jumped into PS4 as a redefined social gaming experience and connecting with friends over the network is a huge part of what makes the PS4 community so special. PlayStation now lets you go even bigger by connecting with your Facebook friends on PS4 using your linked account. Search for Facebook friends who are PSN members and build on the foundation of Friends you already have in your list.
- Remote Play & Share Play at 60 fps (supported devices need to enjoy Share Play and Remote Play features): The ability to customise the frame rate of Remote Play and Share Play will be added with “Yukimura”. Play to your bandwidth strengths and use this option to stream gameplay at 60 or 30 fps when using Remote Play or Share Play.
- Accessibility Options: “Yukimura” introduces a wide variety of options to make the PS4 entertainment experience even more accessible. Options include text to speech, enlarged text, bolder fonts, higher contrast UI, zoom for displayed pictures, invert colours on screen and more. Users will also be able to reassign buttons for DUALSHOCK 4, making it easier for users with limited manual dexterity or limited reach and strength to play.
- Trophy Improvements: We have received a tonne of feedback to improve Trophies. In “Yukimura”, a screenshot will automatically be captured at the moment a Trophy is earned, making it easier than ever for you to share your greatest gaming moments with your friends. We’re also adding more sorting options along with the new ability to remove games from the Trophy list that have 0% completion.
Share Video Clips to Dailymotion: When sharing standout PS4 moments via the Share button on DualShock 4, “Yukimura” will allow players to upload directly to Dailymotion.
[PS4 Update 2.50: codenamed “Yukimura” - PlayStation EU Blog]