There's a point where 'knowing tech stuff' passes through into witchcraft and this is that point. Literal technomage David Hunt has turned a Raspberry Pi into an actual working phone for a little over £90.
The Raspberry Pi is a simple hobbyist computer co-developed by Elite creator David Braben to promote computer science and its ability to create wonderful things never ceases to amaze me. Here's what Hunt used to make the phone and a video of him making a call:
- Raspberry Pi Model B – $40
- PiTFT Touchscreen 320×240 – $35
- 2500mAh LiPo battery – $15
- SIM900 GSM/GPRS module – $48
- DC-DC boost converter 3.3V – 5V 1A – $10
- Cables, connectors, switch, etc. - $10